Friday, November 27, 2009

My First Wedding Cake

My good friend Beth's brother is getting married tomorrow. They're having a small wedding at home, and dessert for the guests was covered, but they wanted a small wedding cake for the two of them. And Beth asked if I would like to make it! Of course I would!!
They wanted a simple white cake, so I tried out a recipe last weekend. It tasted delicious, but being the perfectionist that I am, I was not happy with the way it was looking. I was having a hard time getting the buttercream smooth. I found a neat trick online, and I have to say, the final cake turned out pretty darn good. I am proud! I hope Brian and his new wife like it!! Congratulations to them!
Here are a few shots I took before Beth whisked it away (I hope it survives the hour car ride to their house tomorrow!). Please ignore the disaster that is my kitchen counter.
Thanks to Beth for thinking I'm a good enough baker to make her brother's wedding cake, and thanks to Jaime for letting me borrow your oven! (Mine broke two days ago, just in time for me to have to bake Thanksgiving pies and someones wedding cake!).
Anyone else need a cake?? :)


9 comments:

ACQ said...

I can totally see the difference in the icing before and after. What's the secret? How many layers is that? Great job!!

MOM said...

The cake looks so elegant! Did you make the pearls, too??

Charlie said...

Yay Erin! Looks super great! Mwah!

Unknown said...

it looks so good, good job! i am sure they loved it. yeah what is the secret, i told you suzanne's secret too ;)

Erin said...

Thanks guys! Heather the secret is the paper towel smoothing method, which I think was Suzanne's secret also, but I forgot until I found it on the interwebs again ;)
Mommy, I did NOT make the pearls hahahah good joke ;)

Melissa said...

Very nice! I love the touch of the pearls.

MOM said...

I was actually wondering if they were edible icing pearls or a "decoration" silly!

Landmark Lighting said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Erin said...

the pearls were edible little crunchy candies, not icing.