Sunday, December 10, 2006

Launch of STS 116

Last night we had the least painful shuttle launch since I've been working here. There was only 1 scrubbed launch last Thursday for some low cloud cover that was ok for launching but did not pass our limits for visibility in the contingency case when the crew would have to return to the launch site for a main engine failure early in the launch. The 48 hour scrub solved the weather problem, and we launched last night in the dark for the first time in 4 years. Here are a couple of really cool pics that were emailed to me today of the launch.






This mission will last 12 days and involves the most crucial power reconfigurations of the Internation Space Station to date. I will be in the Mission Control Center every day until the Shuttle undocks from the Station absorbing every piece of knowledge I can, so that I'll be prepared when I'm in the hot seat flying the station in the not so distant future.

1 comment:

Rob, Melissa, Luke & Joel Green said...

I just saw that you had a blog spot! I have not seen your dog in a long time, she is sooo big and cute!