Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Going Green

The Sholls are slowly going green! For Christmas we received some reusable cotton produce bags from the Marshiks. This prompted me to then buy bigger reusable grocery bags. And then, also taking a tip from the Marshiks, we bought a compost bin. I also bought some cloth napkins, and just this past weekend bought some more eco-friendly dish detergent!
The reusable grocery bags are not only awesome because we're not wasting plastic, but you can put a full load of groceries in 4 or 5 bags, which is great!


I just put the compost bin together last week (all by myself, it was kinda like giant Legos), so there is nothing in it yet, but I'm starting my food trash collection inside in a smaller container. Since we try to eat healthy, we make a lot of fruit/veggie trash, and I was sick of throwing it out and stinking up the trash! Did you know you can even compost your dryer lint and coffee grounds and filters??


It may not be much, but we're trying to do our part! Here's hoping the compost bin doesn't stink too bad ;)

5 comments:

Jen @ New Shade of Green said...

This is great news! I have the same compost bin via the Marshik's :). Do you read my blog? I have a rave post about those produce bags too, and I think I turned those on to the Marshiks... :)

Jen @ New Shade of Green said...

Oh... and as far as green cleaners go, you should check out Shaklee - their products ROCK! Let me know if you are interested... I'm a distributor. FYI Seventh Generation dishwasher detergent does not work (for us, and I think the Marshiks too...I think it's our water here).

Jen @ New Shade of Green said...

Oh, one more thing! If you have a bag-less vacuum cleaner, you can empty the vacuum dust collector bin in the compost too... and egg shells, and paper towels as long as they don't have oil/meat juice/chemicals.

Unknown said...

Where do you find a compost bin like the one in your picture? My wife's interested in composting; your method looks to be a lot easier than digging a hole in the ground. Thanks!

Erin said...

I got it through Gardens Alive website, which I found from my friend. You can get a discount through starport!
http://starport.jsc.nasa.gov/EmployeeDiscount/Shopping/index.cfm

http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=2818