Thursday, February 26, 2009

Foodie

If you know me even a little bit, then you know how much I love food. I love shopping for it, I love preparing/cooking/baking it, and mostly, I love eating it. I blame my parents for this addiction ;) It's really a wonder that I am not 500 pounds. Good thing I like running too! I read a lot of food blogs, to get ideas, and to look at delicious pictures of food that make me drool. And lately I've been thinking about starting my own. So I figured I'd start small with a food post :) Here is some stuff I've made lately.

Jaime's Birthday Cupcakes
I made these for Jaime's surprise party. I had made this White Chocolate Raspberry Cake before for both mine and Cory's mom's birthdays when they visited and it was absolutely delicious! It starts with a white cake mix, which some people may say is cheating, but I say it's just helping! It just saves me from having to measure the flour and sugar. The recipe adds the eggs and whatever else, but what makes it special is the 6 oz of white chocolate that you melt and add to the batter! (And the 6 more oz in the cream cheese icing!) For the two layer cake that I made before, there is layer of raspberry jam between the layers with the icing. Yum! But I thought cupcakes would be easier for a party, so I pondered how to make these in cupcake form. And here's what I came up with:



I used my melon-baller to scoop out a little of each cupcake, and then filled it with raspberry jam after they were cooled. Then I iced them. I have to toot my own horn here and say that they turned out really good! They were super moist, the jam was a nice surprise, and as an avid icing lover, that extra glob of icing on top of the jam was a real treat!

Black Bean and Zucchini Burrito
This is something I made for my lunches this week. Refried fat free black beans (from a pouch, dehydrated, add boiling water) + sauteed zucchini & onions + whole wheat tortilla + a little cheese = heaven in my mouth. Cory doesn't like beans or zucchini so this was a perfect thing for me to take for lunch. In addition to tasting delicious, it's also healthy!


Potato Shrimp Soup and Grilled Ribs
Two dinners we had this week that were great! I got this soup recipe for my mom and it was delicious and easy enough to prepare on a work night, even after working out. The ribs I had bought cheap at the HEB and Cory grilled them up just right! We even made our own BBQ sauce; mostly because we were out, not because we were that ambitious ;)

So what do you think? Is my baking/cooking up to par enough to start a food blog? One thing's for sure, I need to work on my photography skills, these food pictures suck! Check out some great ones at some of my favorite food blogs, The Pioneer Woman, Smitten Kitchen, and Bakerella.
Off to read up on the macro setting of my camera!

1 comment:

Jen @ New Shade of Green said...

Yes I think you should start a foodie blog! I enjoy all your posts about baking, and it inspires me! I just bought a domed cake stand I want to put to use - when I do, I will post about it :).