Monday, September 20, 2010

Eating with Erin

Man I just can't keep up with this blog anymore! I have a bunch of things to post, we have been busy the past couple months! But in the meantime, here's some tasty things I've whipped up lately to hold you over!

Cherry-filled Almond Cupcakes, from Love & Olive Oil
recipe here: http://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2009/12/cherry-filled-almond-cupcakes.html
I made these for Lindsay's baby shower and wow they were good! And so cute!



Cupcakes. Clockwise from top left we have Pancakes and Bacon, Chocolate Orange, Baklava, and Pina Colada.

I made some of these for book club at Nujoud's (the two on the right) and froze some of the cakes. Then I made the other two right before we left for North Carolina and defrosted the first two, and frosted them all. So I had 4 yummy cupcake flavors to take to the beach for my family to try! These were all my recipes and they were all a hit!

Pancakes and Bacon - Buttermilk cupcake with maple frosting and bacon crumbles
Chocolate Orange - chocolate orange cake and chocolate orange buttercream with candied orange peel
Baklava - phyllo layers topped with honey cupcake with candied walnut/cinnamon/honey topping
Pina colada - Pineapple rum cupcake with pineapple filling and Malibu coconut frosting

Blackened sea scallops with oven-roasted asparagus. We brought back some scallops from NC and I tried blackening them for the first batch. They were good!


Cinnamon Swirl Bread, from Pioneer Woman.
recipe here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/08/homemade-cinnamon-bread/
Really good, also, really impressed with myself ;)


Pesto Zucchini Pasta
I had leftover basil and spinach before we left for vacation, so I threw together this pesto (with garlic, olive oil, pine nuts, and parm cheese) and froze it so I didn't have to throw anything out since it would go bad while we were gone. For this meal, I sliced zucchini lengthwise as thin as I could by hand, cooked some pasta and threw in the zucchini for the last minute (this is a good way to feel like you're eating more pasta without all those carbs and calories!). Mix it all up with some baked chicken breasts and dinner is served!


Chocolate-Peppermint Whoopie Pies, from a mix
Syd came over last week while her dad was away and her mom was at a class, and we baked up some whoopie pies from a mix I had. They turned out delish, in fact we ate them too fast for me to get a picture! It was fun baking with my little Apprentice ;) Having her stand on the chair to reach reminded me of baking with my mom when Heather and I were little. That's exactly what we did, one on each side of our mom!

Please forgive the poor picture quality, sometimes I just take them with my phone because I'm lazy. That's really helping me learn more about my camera, right? ;)
More soon on our various summer vacations!

6 comments:

ACQ said...

The pesto zucchini pasta has me salivating! Om nom nom!

saroy said...

Ok I have to ask -- how do you travel with a bunch of cupcakes??

Jen @ New Shade of Green said...

Ohmigosh Erin, everything looks great! I'm sorry I'm not able to try out all those cupcakes :(. Funny, but I made pesto zucchini pasta with grilled chicken last week too! And I thought I was so smart putting that together ;). I sauteed the zucchini though but I like your method better - quicker, and uses one less pot.

Thanks for posting all these! Have you thought more about starting a separate blog for your baking/cooking?

Erin said...

Sarah - we drove to North Carolina, but I also have this nifty cupcake carrier similar to this, although I thought it was from Williams Sonoma, but it was a gift and I'm not sure
http://www.nextag.com/Oneida-Platinum-Bakeware-Cupcake-519762322/prices-html
Jen - I've thought about it, but it hasn't gotten much past that. I'm so lazy about updating the blog as it is! Maybe someday. I'd love to be one of those people that makes money off their blog! :) We can all dream right? ;)

Melissa said...

You're amazing! How do find the time/energy to bake? Your cupcakes look so professional btw!

Erin said...

thanks melissa! i dont now, i just love doing it, so i make it fit!