Monday, March 1, 2010

House Project: Random decorating items

I found this picture in a catalogue probably a couple years ago. I think it was Pottery Barn, and I really liked the picture arrangement. I tore it out and kept it, with plans to do something similar above our bed in the master bedroom.
Well we got our new furniture, and our ceilings are high in there, but on the wall that our bed is on the ceiling slopes down. So I didn't feel there was really enough space. So we decided to do it in the family room, above our console table. Here's how it turned out.
We took all of these photos ourselves, and they are of places we love. Starting in the top left corner and going clockwise, they are of St. Lucia (where we went on our honeymoon), the Susquehanna River (where Cory grew up wakeboarding), the Eiffel Tower (we loved our trip to Paris last year), Old Main at Penn State (no explanation necessary), my parents house, Ocean Isle Beach (where my family grew up going on vacation in NC), our house in Texas when it snowed in 2009, a sunset from the cruise we went on with my family in 2008, and the Pennsylvania countryside covered in snow.
The guest bedroom is starting to come together, and I picked up this quilt at Target last weekend which I love. Next up for this room, a DIY art project to decorate those walls.
I also picked up some new curtains at World Market. Our red ones were fine, but they looked pinkish when the sun shone through them, which Cory apparently hated. And I just loved these. I like how they have red, which is my accent color in that room, but they also have other colors, including green, which compliments the kitchen walls.
Lastly, the master bathroom is still a work in progress. I finally started prepping the walls for paint by washing them with warm soapy water to get the glue off. It's working well, but it's a lengthy process. I gave myself a goal of having the room done by the time my parents visit for Easter - 1 month to go!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see everything in person!
MOM

Jen @ New Shade of Green said...

I love the hanging frames! Did you buy the set (bar, string, frames) or make it yourself?

Erin said...

Thanks! I made it, and the whole project came in at under $100! Got lucky and found frames on clearance at Michael's with mats already in them for $5 each. They were fuggo so I spray painted them. Then it was just a matter of printing the pictures and getting the twine and hardware. And I got the bamboo rod free from a friend who wasn't using it! Hanging them at just the right spot was tricky, but we did the layout on the floor first and took a picture of it so we could reference that to hang it.

Melissa said...

Erin, that wall art is AWESOME. Definitely YHL worthy. You should send a pic into them!

Unknown said...

agree with melissa, you should totally send that to YHL! i also cant wait to see it in person... i wanted to comment on something that this post has nothing to do with - i love that you have your wedding album on a little stand! whered you find that so i can copy??