Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Mentees, or 'I am old'

My freshman year in college, I participated in WEPO, the Women in Engineering Program Orientation. It's a program where freshman women entering an engineering major at Penn State head up a few days before freshman orientation and meet other women in engineering, do a design project, and meet people in industry. When I was a senior and a super-senior, I became a mentor for this program. Being a mentor, and meeting Cheryl, the woman in charge of this masterpiece, were the best parts of WEPO for me.
One of my little mentees, Chloe, has followed in my footsteps, or so I like to think. She's all grown up and graduated and lives down here in H-town and works at NASA. Chloe has remained close friends with two of the other girls that were in our group, Shannon and Ashley. This past weekend was Chloe's birthday, and the girls were in town from Austin to celebrate.
It was so great to see my mentees again, and I can't believe they've graduated already! I feel old, but it was great to see them!


Chloe and me

me, Shannon, Chloe, Ashley

2 comments:

ACQ said...

I think it's awesome that you're still in touch! I did WEPO and stayed friends with some of my group members all through school although we've pretty much lost touch now. If you talk to Cheryl tell her what a great program it is!

Unknown said...

WEPO was awesome. im jealous you get to see chloe and the girls! i think its fantastic they're still friends :)