Thursday, September 4, 2008

Jury Doodie

I know, two posts in one day, crazy, right?
Anywho, I had jury duty this week. Or as my crazy sister calls it, jury 'doodie', because it stinks hehe. So 100s of us reported on Tuesday (not Monday because it was Labor Day), and they told us some rules and talked a lot, and then assigned us to cases. The 40 or so people in my group got assigned to a case on Wednesday at 10. We reported back to the courthouse and they did the whole jury selection process, and what do you know - I got picked! After I got over the initial 'damnit I can't believe I got picked' reaction, I accepted it and actually found it pretty interesting! It was sort of like what you see on tv, accept the Judge was super nice and explained stuff to the jury, and the lawyers were much less articulate. I actually really didn't like either of the lawyers, and it kind of helped me understand why everyone hates lawyers. They were almost demeaning in the way they talked to us which was irritating.
The toughest part was going back in the courtoom when the judge read the verdict. It's hard knowing somemone in that room is going to be really upset with your decision! Our jury only deliberated for a half hour though. We all agreed pretty immediately; so I feel we made the right decision.
Two things I did find extremely annoying:
1. The only witnesses actually present were the defendant and the plaintiff. The one witness was a doctor, talking about injuries that the plaintiff incurred in the car accident that the case was about. He had a videotaped deposition!
2. The defendent wasn't there on the second day. Yes you read that correctly. I guess their case got pushed up and the judge told us that she had something that she couldn't miss. SERIOUSLY?
So you're telling me that it's basically impossible for me to get our of Jury Doodie, but the witnesses can tape their answers, and the defendent doesn't even have to show. Here's my idea. Next time I have to sit, how about you tape the trial and send it to me, and then I'll watch it and give you my verdict ;)
Really though, overall it wasn't that bad. So next time you get that jury summons in the mail, you don't need to dread it as much as you think!

No comments: